Thursday, October 18, 2007

Students

My teaching teammates and I have been wondering why this year's group of children seems to be so much more immature than the average class. They aren't all immature, but there is definitely a higher percentage than usual. I think I have the answer to at least part of this puzzle. In my class more than 3/4 of my students are the youngest in their family. Since I'm married to the baby of his family I do know quite a bit about them. They tend to be coddled, babied, and rescued by their parents.

I have to admit that I've rescued Noah from difficulties at school myself. But my oldest never needed rescuing. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that Noah had left his language arts book in my room after completing his homework the night before. Since I have a break at 9:30 I decided to run the book over to him. I was hoping to just slip in quietly and drop it off in his class. But Noah's teacher, Tom, who is a friend of mine wouldn't let that happen. When he saw me he said, "Look class, Noah's mom has come to rescue him. Our parents do that for us all the time and we need to appreciate them. Noah go give your mom a hug and thank her properly." So with bright red cheeks Noah walked across the room and grudgingly gave me a hug. I don't think he'll ever leave a book behind again.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

And your point about us babies is what?