Saturday, September 15, 2007

Eagle Blue, Michael D'Orso

I seem to be on a sports book phase in my reading, first I read Blind Your Ponies an excellent fictional account of small town sports in Montana, the undermanned basketball team from a school trying to avoid consolidation with a neighboring school and their run to the state tournament. Now I'm reading a nonfiction book, Eagle Blue, by journalist Michael D'Orso. D'Orso spent an entire season with the Fort Yukon, Alaska Eagles. The basketball teams in the native villages are the center of the social life of these small isolated compounds. The teams fly to most of their away games, this mode of travel is hampered by cold temperatures. When the temp is -40 or lower they can't fly. The fuel becomes gelatinous at extreme temperatures. Through this book I learned that there are still isolated Russian settlements of old believers with long beards wearing traditional dress from a cenury ago still residing in Alaska. These villages love basketball too. I haven't finished the book yet but I'm enjoying it so much I had to write about it.

Our family is still immersed in football season, but the try outs for Noah's select basketball team are in a mere five weeks. I can hardly wait. I love basketball!

No comments: