Thursday, February 28, 2008

Rhubarb, Bleeding Heart, and Heirloom Iris




Here's the evidence that spring really is coming. It was light enough when I got home at 5:30 tonight to take a few photos in my garden. I really hate those winter days when I drive to work in the dark and come home in the dark. The rhubarb stalks have me thinking about my Grandma Beulah's famous rhubarb cake. It's made with brown sugar and buttermilk with lots of cinnamon and sugar on the top. It's my favorite cake! I'll even eat it for breakfast. I figure any pastry with cinnamon and sugar on the top qualifies as a coffee cake.

The bleeding heart plant was an accidental purchase. It started as a tiny sprig that hitchhiked it's way into my garden with another plant that has since died. When this plant is fully in bloom it's 3' tall and 4' wide. It fills the whole space under my front window.

The iris started its life in my Grandma Marie's garden in Twin Falls. When my grandparents had to move out of their house my mom saved some of the iris and gave them to me for my garden. These are very prolific iris that I've had to split several times. I have them in four different spots in my yard.

Now that I've cleared most of the winter debris my most hated chore awaits: WEEDING.

No comments: