Monday, February 11, 2008

Running on Fumes

I guess that title isn't quite correct because I am still functioning and performing well at my job, but I did go to bed at 8:30 last night. This past weekend was quite hectic.

Friday night was our school carnival. A great event with a Mardi Gras theme. The decorations were great, the halls were packed with kids playing games like horse shoes and wheel of fortune to win silly little plastice prizes, and the silent auction was tremendous. I got a great bargain! I walked away with a jewelry set (earrings, necklace, and bracelet) made with silver beads and fresh water pearls for $15.00. The four baskets I made sold for between $20 and $30. The PTA hasn't released the final profit numbers, but I bet they made at least $6000.00. Although my kids no longer attend this school they still love the carnival. I am always surprised by the large numbers of middle and high school kids we have in attendance every year.

Noah had two basketball games Saturday, Alyssa had a babysitting job Saturday night, and both of us girls got our hair done on Saturday. Noah's team lost both of their Saturday games. His team has become quite schizophrenic this year. We never know which team is going to show up on any given weekend. Sometimes they play tremendously well, and other times they stink up the court. The first game was close and the boys only lost by 3. In the second game Noah's team only scored 24 points to the other team's 36. Usually if we can hold a team to under 40 we win easily. Our guards couldn't make a shot to save their lives. Noah was the high scorer with 8.

On Sunday we had to drive more than an hour for a make up basketball game that was rescheduled from December. This was a much better game. All of the boys scored, and they won by 44 points. Forrest thinks that's what the boys needed to regain their confidence going into this weekend's tournament in Port Angeles. Last year we won the tournament we attended in PA and are hoping for a repeat.

Right now Forrest is on his way to a bridge inspection class. He'll be gone till Thursday. Thankfully Alyssa is available to take Noah to basketball practice for me since I have two late meeting nights this week.

I'm counting the hours till Friday. It's an inservice day so the kids will be at home all day. Forrest is getting off work early, and they're all going to pick me up at school and we'll be on our way to catch the ferry for our weekend get away. I really enjoy this tournament. We stay at the Olympic Lodge. All of the families from the team stay there, and we have a great time hanging out together between games. Last year we had snow and the kids could sled on the golf course behind the hotel. We're going to take our sleds with us just in case.

Right now I'm stuck in my room during my lunch break with some forgetful children who didn't get caught up on their math over the weekend as they were supposed to. So I made them eat in the room and work while they ate. At least I got a chance to get caught up with my blog.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hope you make it through your week, and that Friday comes faster than you think it will!