Sunday, December 16, 2007

Real Trees vs. Fake "Trees"

I am firmly in the real tree camp. We always had real trees growing up. For several years we had live trees which we later planted in the yard. Live trees are very heavy. It's a pity no one every videotaped our efforts to wrestle the heavy potted trees into the house on my brother's skateboard. Later in my childhood we discovered local tree farms where we could cut our own tree. My parents have gone to the same farm for years. The county where we live has several Christmas tree farms. We've tried several of them during our 18 years of marriage. I figure that I'm supporting a local farmer when we choose to cut our own tree, and after the holidays the tree is recycled into mulch for local parks. The only time we've bought a cut tree was one Christmas when Forrest was horribly sick with bronchitis. And even though we didn't cut it down it did come from a local farmer.

Fake trees are not natural. They don't smell wonderful. They eventually end up in a landfill as garbage. Enough said.

2 comments:

suzanne said...

I'm with you! But Felicia did have an awfully cute hot pink feather tree in her dorm room that was very festive alternative.

Michelle said...

Thanks for reminding me about the live trees. A truly unique memory from our childhood!