Thursday, June 14, 2007

Book Review for The Whistling Season

Since I'm going to miss my book club meeting tonight I thought I'd write a review of one of my new favorites, The Whistling Season, by Ivan Doig. I was first introduced to this author several years ago when I read Dancing at the Rascal Fair. I loved that book, but was disappointed by many of his subsequent books until now. The Whistling Season takes place in Montana 1909-1910. The story revolves around a widower homesteader, his three sons, their housekeeper from Minneapolis and her brother Morrie. When the teacher at the one room schoolhouse elopes with the traveling evangelist, Morrie is pressed into the job. His enthusiasm for teaching, especially science and the return of Halley's Comet captures the attention of the whole community. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys books about the west.

No comments: