Thursday, January 8, 2009

Whacky Weather

The river is supposed to stay on the far   side of the line of trees..



Of the three routes available to us to get home only one has been open the past two days.  The others are under recording breaking flood waters.  The state highway that runs through the town where I teach is closed.  One lane of Interstate 5 is closed where it intersects with the state highway.  The schools in the town where I live are closed and voluntary evacuations are taking place.  The mayor declared an emergency and the firefighters are helping with the sandbagging efforts.  Buses in the town where I work are on limited routes due to mudslides, water over the roadways, and especially because of the closure of Highway 530.  My school and its neighborhoods are on higher ground so we have very few children missing today.  One other  school is cut-off from town and it also has no power.  Two of the other schools have very few children as the kids just can't get to town. We had a two hour late start so that the sun would be up and drivers could assess the roads better.  I  haven't talked to Noah or Alyssa yet to see how many of their friends were able to make it to school.  Forrest worked 13 hours yesterday inspecting and closing roads for Skagit County.  I have no idea how long he'll be out today.  I'm sure you've all seen some photos of Western Washington's flood waters since we've made the national news, but here are a few I took at 10:00 AM as the flood waters were cresting.  

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What craziness! I'm sure glad you guys live on higher ground!