Monday, June 22, 2009

Gardening







From the looks of the fields around here there will be great crops of corn, hay, peas, pumpkins, etc. The wet spring plus two weeks of 80-90 degree temperatures to start the month got everything off to a great start. Local strawberries are ready. We can eat a half flat in two days easily. Raspberries are the family favorites so we're anxiously awaiting their arrival. We're also looking forward to local sweet corn arriving in August.

The family gardening projects look promising too. A photo of Forrest's tomato bucket has been requested so I will finally get around to posting that. For comparison sake I'll post a photo of the tomato plant I put into a raised bed (not quite a fair comparison since I planted two weeks before Forrest). Our walnut tree has put on lots of nuts this year. Last year we only got a handful. This year we'll have a large bowlful. The blueberry plants are growing slowly. I think I'll only get one or two handfuls of berries. The birds usually nab them right before they're ripe enough for me.

Noah has basketball camp this week so I'll be driving him to the high school Monday through Thursday. Wednesday nights his football team is meeting for informal games of Flash ( a type of free-for-all game where the boys can pass anywhere on the field). On Thursday we'll head east to spend Thursday night at Forrest's mom's house before we check into the hotel Friday afternoon for Hoopfest. Alyssa and I will come home Sunday night because she has to work. Noah and Forrest will stay for a couple of more days to see his sister, Jeweli, who will be in town from Albuquerque. One of Alyssa's co-workers is pregnant and due very soon so Alyssa needs to be ready to take on more hours to help cover her place.

No comments: