Monday, April 20, 2009

Free Time

Those of you who also read my sister Michelle's blog will have to look there for pictures of our Mom's Weekend. I'm having trouble with the picture mail feature on my phone.

Before this weekend Olympia has just been a place to pass through on the way to and from family in Oregon. But since it is just about midway between St. Helens and Stanwood we chose is as our meeting spot. The hotel was old, the free breakfast was bad, but the location was perfect. One side of the hotel looks out over the old capitol building and the other side looks out on Capitol Lake, the new capitol, and the marina. And everything was within walking distance of the hotel. Olympia's downtown has delightful shops, coffee houses, and restaurants. I bought a beautiful watercolor for the living room directly from the artist herself. At Dumpster Values, a hip thrift store, Michelle and I pawed through the racks to find vintage wear for Alyssa's Great Gatsby presentation. On Sunday the sunshine on the water beckoned. We strolled along the waterfront to admire the ships. We stumbled upon the farmer's market and took some time to sit by the water with our books.

After lunch at the market I got on I-5 for the drive home. My plan was to take 405 north as I-5 in North Seattle is under construction, however, there was an accident blocking the onramp to 405 so I had to stay on 5. There were 45 minute delays through Seattle so I got tricky and took 90 west across the lake and picked up 405 in Bellevue and proceeded up through Lynnwood and Everett. I made it home in two hours despite my detours.

I didn't know how much I really needed this weekend until I got home. Work has been stressful, the kids and their activities are stressful, and just the general economic uncertainty has been stressful. It was so much fun to poke around the stores, stroll the sidewalks, and just be me and not someone's teacher, mom, or wife. Thanks a bunch Michelle, love you lots.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love you too! I can't believe how refreshed I feel, even after a cruddy night of sleep on those hard hotel beds. We'll have to plan another getaway!